Sunday 15 April 2018

Makerspace Reflection

   This year our school made it a priority to incorporate Makerspace into our learning environment.  Although I had done STEM challenges with my classes in the past, I really wanted to begin to incorporate Makerspace on a more consistent basis, into my Gr. 2 curriculum. I also wanted to branch out to include a variety of stations (invention, technology, lego, Makedo sets, etc.). What I immediately noticed was that ALL of my students were engaged from the planning stages right up to the completion and presentation of their projects. The students were even excited to hear other students present their finished product, asking thoughtful and insightful questions about their peers’ projects. Makerspace allowed the students to work on challenges that naturally provided differentiation and allowed each of their strengths to shine through. So even when their task was the same, the finished products could be delivered in a way that used materials and methods that were vastly different.  As a result, not only were all the students able to design, execute and deliver a product that met task expectations, but there was more freedom to create and think critically.
   I also noted that using Makerspace in my Grade 2 class provided opportunities for my students to persevere, especially when their idea didn’t look like their design or when it wasn’t quite meeting the expectations.  It led to rich discussions on the importance of failure and how scientists and inventors often learn through mistakes and ultimately end up with a better product. Every student in my class was able to make suggestions on how their original design could be improved upon, which ultimately was just as important, if not more important, than the final product.
    So in addition to allowing students to take risks, understand the importance of failure and foster creativity and critical thinking, Makerspace also helped foster empathy in my students. When students became frustrated with building their design, I would often see other students step in and offer suggestions or advice. Thinking about a product that could be beneficial to others in the real world, also led to thinking about the reasons why we invent new products.  
   In the future my plan is to continue learning about Makerspace and how I can continue to incorporate it into my curriculum.

Bobbi Larock
Gr 2 Teacher, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
MakerSpace Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment